zaterdag 22 juni 2013

Every house needs flowers - Ieder huis heeft bloemen nodig


For a friend who wanted to furnish her fairy house, I decided to try my hand at making a table and some flowers. 

Tutorials below. 

The jug is from Miniatures About, the pot with the plant is the cap of a mouthwash bottle and the glass vase on the left is a bottle from my medication that I painted. I mod podged a picture of some roses on it.
The pink roses were made from simple round punches from my normal office punch.
The lilacs were made from couscous, because that is what I had. I discovered that dying it with acrylic does not work well. Acrylic paint causes the grains to stick together when drying and you want a nice loose grain. Watercolours work perfectly.

I finished both the lilacs and the paper plant leaves with acrylic spray varnish to give them more protection, seal the glued couscous grains and give the paper plant a nice sheen.
For the lilacs I used Tacky Quick dry and for the paper leaves a simple glue stick.

As for the table, I got my inspiration from the sofa in the link below and simply adapted it to make a table. I glued toothpicks at the back of the legs for extra firmness. Gesso is your best friend for this project because it really ties in the lace and cardboard and once painted it looks like wood. I painted it light brown, dabbed darker brown on it with a paper towel. Brushed a little gold on the raised pieces with my fingers and then varnished it high gloss.
And voilà, Bob's your uncle ;-) 


Voor een vriendin die haar elfenhuisje wilde inrichten wilde ik proberen om bloemen en een tafel te maken. 
De instructies staan hieronder.

De kan aan de rechterkant is van Miniatures about, de pot voor de plant is de dop van een mondwaterfles en het glazen flesje aan de linkerkant is van mijn medicijnen. Ik heb de binnenkant geschilderd en een plaatje van een roosje aan de buitenkant geplakt.
De roze roosjes heb ik met een gewone kantoor perforeer machine gemaakt. De seringen zijn van couscous gemaakt omdat ik dat nog in huis had. De couscous verven met acrylverf gaat minder goed dan waterwerf. Van acryl gaan de korrels aan elkaar plakken als ze drogen en ze moeten juist mooi los zijn.

Zowel de seringen als de plant heb ik als laatste nog gevernist met een spuitbus. De korrels blijven zo goed op hun plaats en de plant krijgt een mooie glans.
Voor de seringen heb ik sneldrogende Tacky gebruikt, voor de blaadjes een gewone plakstift.

Voor de tafel heb ik het idee van de bank gebruikt en aangepast. Aan de achterkant van de tafelpoten heb ik tandenstokers geplakt voor extra stevigheid. Gesso is hierbij je beste vriend omdat het het karton en het kant mooi bedekt zodat het één geheel wordt. Eenmaal geverfd ziet het eruit als echt hout. Ik heb de tafel eerst licht bruin geschilderd en daarna gesponst in donkerbruin met een stukje keukenpapier. Met mijn vingers nog wat goudverf op de reliëf delen gedept en daarna glanzend vernis erover. En zie daar, je hebt een tafel.
 

Links: 
http://miniatures.about.com/od/dollhouseprintables/ss/flowercontainers.htm 
http://mylittlelittledream.blogspot.jp/2013/03/miniature-lilac.html 
http://les-miniatures-de-victoria.oldiblog.com/?page=articles&rub=212034&nba=3
http://creeretrealiser.kazeo.com/un-sofa-louis-xv/un-sofa-louis-xv,r388610.html

2 opmerkingen :

  1. I am intrigued by your flowers Veronique and wish the photo was clearer but the idea of using couscous was a good one and also the watercolor paints, which are less opaque and as you say, not so sticky!

    elizabeth

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hello Elizabeth! Thank you for your comment. The photo was taken before I discovered I had a "macro" setting on the camera of my phone ;-) As you can see, I added a new photo which should give you a much better idea of what it looks like finished. I think this is also a good way to make a Wysteria vine. And maybe the coloured couscous can be crushed with a pestle and mortar to be used on smaller scale? Worth investigating :-)

      Verwijderen